Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2 x 4 Furniture Can Be Fun!!!

I didn't design this bench. It is a pattern from a 2 x 4 furniture book that I bought at the local co op for a couple dollars. 2 x 4 furniture is simple furniture you build using standard lumber dimensions. I didn't build it to impress anyone, but to sell. I made another one just like it that I left the hearts off of, and put the two benches out by the road to see if they sell. I have had some people stop and price them already. I am asking $60 for this bench, and $55 for the one without hearts. I didn't think that was very much money, but a few people gagged at the prices. There is a danger when you put stuff out by the road in that people tend to think the stuff should be sold at yard sale prices. Not everyone acts that way, but alot of people do. I also designed, built and painted a coffee table to go with the round red table below that has roses painted on it. It didn't turn out very good, so I broke it up and put it in the garbage.

2 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I think your prices are perfectly reasonable and like you always say, if you keep it out long enough, someone will come along and buy it. There will always be someone who scoffs at your price...even at craft and art shows! You and I both have witnessed many a rude big mouths who have said "gee, I could do that at home with some paper mache and a rubber stamp! That's all that is!" - nice and loud and obnoxious! Lol* I am learning, some people are just that way, and we're not here to please anyone but ourselves, so the heck with them. The right person will come along, someone with respect and appreciation for the time you put into it, and that's who you want it to go home with anyhow.

Your bench is beautiful and you should feel confident in it. Just look at all the people who have stopped wanting it!

Oh, just one more thought - although you're right, sometimes people think you are selling them at yard sale prices by the road...but look at all the people who sell picnic tables and things like that by the road. They don't charge yard sale prices. Sometimes people just stop on the way to work and didn't necessarily bring $65 with them...but that doesn't mean they won't stop back later with cash in hand. I think if you keep confident that your work is worth the money, others will accept it too. It's all about attitude! :) Keep up the amazing work Dad! :)

HOPE said...

This is PRECIOUS.... maybe they didn't SEE the cut out hearts on the sides?

I have found a LOT of folks just don't realize the TIME, TALENT and Cost to the maker! And..some maybe even one of a kind..like my sock monkey's...LOL

Sell what it would bring to you of the worth of time, talent and treasue!! There you go...my three T's of selling value!

Best wishes on your labours
HOPE