Saturday, May 25, 2013

(Bob) I Almost Left This Box on the Store Shelf . . .



I bought the box pictured above at a Salvation Army Thrift Store today thinking it was a handy little box that I could possibly stain or decorate in some way.  It had a sliding lid and four compartments inside filled with a kid's puzzle of some kind. I really liked it. I threw the puzzle pieces away because I really only wanted the box. Unfortunately, a child wrote all over the lid, inside and out, with a marker of some kind.  I wasn't sure if I could get it off, but the box only cost $1.99 and if I couldn't get it off I wouldn't be out much.  The first thing I tried worked like a charm.  I took a little bleach on a soft paper towel and gently wiped over a section of the marker to see if it would come off.  Much to my surprise it disappeared in a matter of minutes.  You can see where I tried it in the top picture. I then did the whole box the same way.  The pictures below show the box after I finished wiping it down. Apparently it was a water based marker, and came off quite easilty. (I don't know that this idea would work on a regular magic marker.) When I finished removing the marker lines, I wiped the areas I worked with a damp cloth. As soon as it dries, I think it will be ready for staining and decorating. I'm really glad I didn't pass this nice box up. I bet alot of people did because of the marks. --Bob



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Doesn't even look like the same box. Sometimes your experiments amaze me ! Elaine